Mar 18, 2009

SMOOTH MOVE

It was load-in day at the State Theatre today for The Barber of Seville set.

WHILE YOU WERE OUT
I love getting to see the elements of our sets before they are transformed and lit up. It's like that HGTV show in which people leave their home and return to it all made-over, and they're like "Wow! I never thought Marmalade Sunset paint would make such a difference in this room. It's amazing!"

Similarly, the imposing-looking set pieces above will get translated into something like this:

(photo courtesy of Edmonton Opera)



RIDING THE RAILS
Turns out I really can fly. (And not because I've been licking psilocybin mushrooms or something equally mind-altering...I'm not that kind of chicken.) No, flying is what theater folk know as a system using pulleys, ropes and other mechanical devices that you probably learned about in physics to easily move scrims, set pieces, back drops and lights on and off stage. They're all suspended above the stage in the "fly space"

You operate the flys (as I show here) on the "rail," located backstage. Ideally, you run the correctly labeled fly.



THIS COULD BE YOU!
If you haven't bought your tickets already.

No comments: